Monday, February 8, 2010

A Very Old Man and the Dog He Doesn't Have But Wants to Adopt

Dad's at it again.
Wheeled into my office this afternoon, little smile on his face, sat down on his walker seat (always a sign that a major conversation is about to ensue), then made his pitch. Again.
"You know that pet food store over on Hooker Rd?"
"eeeeyup."
"Well..........they're bringing over a bunch of dogs for adoption, Wednesday, 10-3pm."
Pause as Dad looks at me with that "Oh come on Mom can't I pleeeeeez get a puppy????" look on his face.
Then he says, expectantly of course, "What do you think?"
I take his hand. I know he'll really listen if I'm holding his hand. "Here's the deal Dad. If we knew for a fact that you were going to be around, and healthy, and mobile, for another 10 years, it would be a great idea."
Then the reality-check washes over his face and I feel like I just single-handedly killed Dad's adopted dog that doesn't even exist. He gets up to exit my office. "Yeah. You're right. Bad idea."
But I stop him before he turns completely and leaves the office. "No it's not a BAD idea. It's just...."
"Not workable."
And I rest my hand on his shoulder, "Yea."
As he disappears out the office door, "Okay."
It's weird being a parent to your parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment