Friday, February 12, 2010

Dad wants a dog. Part 3

Yep. There's more.

I got up early Thursday morning because Thursday is the day I reserve for appointments and errands. Mom's hair appointment, her manicure, various and assorted doc appointments, trip to CostCo, Safeway, Sunny Farms, etc.
Thursday is basically Mom and Dad day. Gets them out of the house, change of scenery, people to talk to, sensory stimulation.
So anyway, I get up, get dressed, do my morning yoga, collect my thoughts, remind myself that it's Thursday, then head for the kitchen for morning chores and to go over the shopping list, which sets on the kitchen counter, in front of the fruit (or as Dad calls it "fruitta") bowl, with the designated "shopping list pen" (Dad has a thing about pens) on top of it.

I glance down the list which reads as follows:
bananas (The second "n" has one of those little wiggly things over it, like it's supposed to be pronounced with an "ny" sound, as in "bana-nyas". None of us understand why Dad does this. He doesn't say "bananyas", he just spells it that way.)
milk 2%
eggs
fruitta (cuz, as I mentioned, Dad loves to call fruit "fruitta")
cottage cheese
"puppy dog"
Tropicana OJ
whole grain bread

WHAT?!

Yeah. Dad actually wrote "puppy dog" (and he wrote it in quotes too, which means I don't even know what) on the shopping list, which he KNOWS I check every Thursday, which he KNOWS I tear off and take to the store with me after I check it every Thursday. In short, he KNOWS I will see that, along with juice and bananyas, he would like me to also pick up a dog when I go to the store!

So I'm guessing Dad thought he'd just sneak "puppy dog" into the list, hoping.....what?......that I'd just skim down the list, item by item, purchase each thing as I go up and down the aisles, throw a loose puppy into the shopping cart and not notice??? My Dad has the most wicked sense of humor sometimes.

I shake my head. I tear off the list. I fold it.

Can't wait for Part 4.



1 comment:

  1. I love love love your father. Thanks for this. A fave! For sure. And I'm imagining he hears the Chiquita Banana song in his head a lot and that little symbol is his Latin flair, just as Fruitta is.

    ReplyDelete