Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Amy's Tamale and Rice

Dad: (as I pass through the living room) Hey!
Me: What!? (as I backtrack to see what he wants)
Dad: What was that...that you had for dinner last night?
Me: Tamale and rice?
("Amy's Tamale and Rice"..........very good. Highly recommended. I had picked up two at the store last week. I was short on time for dinner the night before and popped one into the microwave. Dad came into the kitchen just as I was taking it out. He's a sucker for anything with an aroma, and it was all I could do to keep him from sticking a fork into my tamale and "sampling" half of it.)
Dad: Yeahhhh! Tamale! Are there any more?
(He asks this with so much expectation! Picture a kid who's just been given a great big present. The kid looks at the great big present and says, "What?! Golly Gee! You mean it's for MEEEEE?????!!!")
(I briefly contemplate lying to him....telling him, "nope Dad, sorry, that was the last one" because, in fact, there IS one more "Amy's Tamale and Rice", in the freezer in the garage, but only one more and I was going to have tomorrow night. Sooooooo................. To lie............ or not to lie.....)
Me: Yep. There's one more. (dang I'm such a pushover.)
Dad: There is?! I looked for more in the garage but I couldn't find any.
(Note regarding why Dad was unable to find "Amy's Tamale and Rice" in the garage freezer: This is because, as my brothers and I have discovered, if there are certain food items you want to make sure you have when you want them, you MUST hide them from Dad. Why? Because when Dad is in forage mode, he consumes whatever he finds. Seriously.)
Me: Yeah there's one more. I'll bring it in. (I head to the garage to relocate "Amy's Tamale and Rice" to the house freezer. Relocation complete, I return to Dad in his chair.)
Me: Okay, it's in the freezer.
Dad: What? There's a disagreement?
Me: No. I put it in the freezer.
Dad: You have a disagreement? Who do you have a disagreement with?!
Me: No! Dad! I put. The tamale. In the FREEZER.
Dad: Ohhhh! It's in the freezer?
Me: Yeahhhh!
Dad: Ohhhhh! Thank you! Oh boy! I'm going to have it tonight!! (and there's that look of expectation again....)
Me: Allrighty then. Enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment