Saturday, January 23, 2010

What we learn

We learn many things from our parents--what to do, what not to do; how to live, how not to live. My current lesson is learning and recognizing these things from both my parents.

My father starts every morning with a song.
My mother has nightmares that strange people are trying to take her away.

My father can barely see and hear, but wants to learn how to play a concertina.
My mother used to knit.

My father urges me to write to our congressman about this or that bill.
My mother worries she'll have no cottage cheese for dinner.

My father laughs out loud at least three times a day.
My mother groans at least a dozen.

My father always offers to help.
My mother always asks for help.

My father takes three medications.
My mother takes ten.......twice a day.

My father made choices.
My mother made choices.

I make choices.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Done in such a way that I do not hear judgment. I'm hoping I get to laugh, not groan, if I get to be their ages.

    ReplyDelete