Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Diaper Demo

First the background.
Dad is still having "flow" problems.
Consequently, he's been having "accidents" during the night.
As a result, he's been wearing Depends--a reality that he accepts with incredible good humor.

However, the Depends don't seem to be doing the job for overnight protection.

So.....today the caregiver suggested picking up some Maximum Protection style Depends--the bulky ones with straps that wrap around and attach to the front....kind of like a regular diaper does (which is what Dad calls them......Diapers.....and which I correct him on constantly because, unlike my father, I'm in complete denial over the fact that my father, who, to me, has always been the closest clone to John Wayne possible, now has to wear diapers because he keeps wetting his bed. I mean, my god, you try picturing John Wayne wearing a diaper! See what I'm talking about?!)

Anyway, so I bought some Maximum Protection Depends, brought them home, and presented the package to Dad. He studied the package for several minutes before becoming completely confused, "How the hell do these work? Where are the instructions?" (Dad has to use an owner's manual to open a tube of toothpaste.)
And I'm like, "Instructions? No. What? Dad, look here at the package, it shows you how to put them on."
I showed him the picture.
Still confused.
I explained that he just needs to wrap the three adhesive straps on each side of the back part around his hips and attach them to the front part.
Confused.
So.............(Do you know what's coming? You do, right?)
Yup. There was only one option left. I was going to have to demonstrate. Which I did. I went through the whole process just as naturally as if I was explaining mitosis to my middle schoolers back when I was a classroom teacher.
And you know, the funny thing is that I didn't think twice about doing the Diaper Demo until long after the fact, when I suddenly realized, "I just demo-ed to my father how to put on a Maximum Protection disposable diaper!"

The blessing is that neither of my brothers was here to see it, because if they had been here, trust me, there would have been at least photos, and more likely, a full length video.

No comments:

Post a Comment