Thursday, January 21, 2010

Adopting Haiti Chowder

Here's a snippet of a conversation between Mom and Dad that took place yesterday afternoon while Dad was reading the food section of the newspaper, and Mom was watching CNN's coverage of the situation in Haiti.
Dad: "Patricia did you see this picture of the Grilled Scallop Chowder in the food section?
Mom: "No."
Dad: "It looks delicious! I think we should try this!"
2-3 pause..............
Mom: "I think we should adopt one of these Haitian children."
Dad: "What?"
Mom: "I said, I think we should...."
Dad: "Chowder? Did you see this picture? Doesn't it sound good?"
Mom: "Haitian children............"
Dad: "You hate chowder? How can you say that? Look at this picture..."
Mom: "No, I said I think....."
Dad: "Look at this picture.......look at these big scallops........oh boy........."
Mom: "No. I said I think we should adopt a child from Haiti!"
short pause.............
Dad: "...adopt a child from Haiti?"
Mom: "Yeeees."
Dad: "Patricia are you crazy? How could we do that?"
Mom: "Oh I don't know. I just feel awful for them."
another short pause.......
Dad: "But we're too old to adopt children!"
Nothing from Mom.
Dad: "Let's have chowder for dinner tonight."

1 comment: