Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Approacheth

23 December 2008, Tuesday

Took Mom to her third optometrist's appointment today to have her right eye checked. It seems she has shingles of the cornea (corneal shingles?) and it's apparently getting worse. Last week she was one schedule of one drop in the right eye every 3-4 hours and ointment in said eye every night. But....alas, the situation has worsened. The cornea is worse and infected, so now she needs one drop in the eye every two hours (that's right, every two hours), an anti-viral tablet three times a day, a drop of dilator morning and night, and ointment before bed.

The hurdle with this blog, for me, is going to be figuring out how to be completely honest. On some level, I know this is probably a decent coping mechanism for somebody like me--living with my elderly parents, helping to care for them, manage their financial matters, running the house, driving them to whereever they need to go (translatiion: doctors' appointments), keeping them stocked with their favorite foods, doing the laundry, protecting them from stressors... If you haven't figured it out yet, it's a lot like having small children. Except.........they're your parents!

Anyway, back to my mom. So my standard coping mechanism here is making sure I get out of the house for several hours at least every other day. But....having to adhere to this one drop every two hours schedule pretty much puts a kabosh on that plan. Hence my concern...

No comments:

Post a Comment