Saturday, November 6, 2010

Preparing to Disembark: Part Deux

As they say........It's not over til the Fat Lady sings.
And........in my case, I'm not going anywhere til I'm on the airplane.

I'm scheduled to leave for NYC tonight. Scheduled.

In the meantime, The Woman Who Bore Me is in the throes of an anxiety attack because.......well, because this is what she does when I try to go visit anywhere for any substantial length of time.

My father and I were both awakened early this morning when Mom pressed her LifeLine button (the first time). "Take me to the hospital!" she wailed. (Which........is tempting for a few reasons. But since there was nothing physically the matter with Mom........soooo not really an option.)

The second time Mom pressed her LifeLine button was not more than two minutes after Dad had just suggested we remove Mom's LifeLine button and I had reassured him that she wouldn't press it anymore. (Yeah, a lot I know.) That's when Dad looked at me and said, "You should just leave" then turned around and went back to bed.

So.....it's been Mom and me........since 6am.........

And, as I type this, TWWBM is wailing, "Deniiiiiiise, come in here so I can see you!!" And I can't help but wonder, why doesn't she climb in her walker and come into me?"

Oh wait.........wait..........she's wailing again, "I'm coming to you. I'm going away!" And I can hear her getting up........taking off the brakes of her walker.........and now wheeling out of her bedroom........and.......and..........there she goes right past my office where I'm sitting........and into the living room still wailing, "I'm going away Denise! I'm going awayyyyy!"......and now she's turning around.......back down the hallway........past my office.......past Dad's bedroom (Dad is up now).......and back into her own bedroom. Dad's wheels in to see how she's doing.
He asks, "Are you doing better now?"
Mom says, "Why did you agree to this?"
Dad doesn't hear her (like it would matter anyway) but he sees the cat perched on top of Mom's dresser and says, "I think it's wonderful how the cat jumps right up onto the dresser like that. Isn't that wonderful Patricia?"
Then he wheels back into his own room to brush his teeth.
And now........here comes Mom again.....this time she wheels into my office (seriously.....I am typing this as it is happening!) and says to me, "I'm going to fall! I'm coming into tell you to tell you I'm going to fall!"
And I keep typing and say, "You're not going to fall unless you want to."
Then she turns around and wheels out and back into her bedroom saying, "I don't want to fall, I don't want to fall...."

But wait there's more.......

Now she's on her bed wailing to me, "Deniiiiise, come heeere! I've got something for you!"

Hang on.........let's go see what it is, shall we??? Hang on........

Okay, back. She wanted to give me her wedding ring.

oy vay.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, god, Denise, I laugh, I cry everytime I come here - travel well, I just got home from NY last night - it's waiting for you xxo, J

    ReplyDelete