Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Falling...

Returned from Sequim lab again today. This time for Mom. Also a check for Dad's hearing aid which has been whistling incessantly for the last several days. He, of course, doesn't hear it, but it's driving the rest of us crazy. Turns out, his ears need cleaning. (Seriously.) But that's all unimportant for the purpose of today's blog.

We arrive back at the house. Park the car. I get Mom's walker out. I get Mom out. She's wheeling her way back into the house.

Dad gets out of the car. This takes a good half minute, by the time he maneuvers out of the car, stands up, gets his bearings, closes the door, breathes, and starts going again. I wait for him, like I usually do, because if Dad's hip or knee gives out, I figure it'll probably be in the first few steps he takes.

So I'm standing there, next to him, waiting for him to successfully begin his forward momentum. He starts to go, then looks at me (because he always gets a kick out of the fact that I hover around him until I know he's going to be okay) and smiles and says, "I'm okay. Proceed" he adds with a little flourish. And so I turn to go ahead into the house, to help Mom off with her jacket. But just as I turn around toward the kitchen/garage door....he speaks again.

"CRASH."

I turn immediately.
And Dad stands there, twinkly little smile on his face, chuckling at me.
"Just kidding," he says.

Wicked, wicked, wicked sense of humor.

1 comment: