Sunday, August 21, 2011

Peaches and Hummus

Dad and I broke the big news to Mom--that she and Dad are going to move to San Diego, live together in the same facility, right down the road from my brother and his wife, and be closer to my two sons and their families. Her reaction? She kept saying how happy the news made her feel.
"I'm very happy" she kept repeating.
That was four days ago.

Day before yesterday my mother calls me while I'm at Sunny Farms. I answer the phone while perusing the peaches.
"Hello?"
"Dennnnnise......?"
"Hey Mom, how are you?"
"Dennnnnise......I want to commit suicide. I can't take this anymore. They're all witches here. I'm going to commit suicide."
"Well Mom, here's the deal. You can't commit suicide because you're moving to San Diego with Dad. "
"Oh?"
"Yes, remember? Dad and I came and told you?"
"Wellll, they keep telling me that Dad is a resident of San Marcos."
"No Mom. Dad is here in Sequim. Honest."
"Oh."

Suddenly the peaches didn't look so appetizing. I grabbed a container of hummus instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment