Sunday, June 20, 2010

Let's Get Sloshed!

Dad: (around 3:30pm, hungry, sniffing the air, picking up the smell of sauteed mushrooms and peppers wafting its way in from the kitchen, where I'm whipping up a Father's Day meal) When are we eating?
Me: About 5:00. That okay?
Dad: Sure! t Boy, it sure smells good!
Me: Yep.
Then Dad gets up and wheels into the kitchen. He can't resist a good aroma. His eyes are bad, his hearing sucks, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Dad's sniffer. He pokes his nose into the vegetables. Let's out some exclamation like, "Hmmmm! That smells good!" Then he strolls over to pour himself a glass of wine.
Dad:What time you putting the salmon on the grill?
Me: In about 15 minutes.

Dad's next comment took me a bit by surprise......though not entirely. Considering the week we've had with Mom's escapades into dementia-dom, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at all.

Dad: Let's get sloshed!
Me: Excuse me?
Dad: Come on! (cheering me on) I'll pour you a glass of wine. I've got a really nice Cab. Let's get sloshed. We deserve it.

Okay.........so, short time-out here...........Let me just say that I am in no way condoning the use of alcohol to escape from one's woes. I'm not a drinker. Dad has a glass of wine about every other night. That's it. But.........truth be told, it was an hellacious week for us. The thought of sharing a little alcohol buzz with my dad had a certain.......shall we say.........alluring bouquet.

Me: Okay! Pour me a glass! (I said it with a classic fist pump, which cracked Dad up. Seriously. I don't drink. He's always trying to talk me into having a glass of wine with him. So the fact that I actually said "yes" for once, really tickled his funny bone.)

So.......he poured; I sauteed and grilled. We're about to sit down now to eat.......and drink.

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there. Cheers!





1 comment:

  1. Denise, your father is a poem...one you truly love and treasure:)

    ReplyDelete