Thursday, June 10, 2010

Flower Power

Mom has a little solar-powered flower that sets on her window at the nursing home. My sister-in-law sent it to her as a gift. I also have one in my office at home. When the sun shines on it, it charges up and the flower wags back and forth. If you haven't seen these things, check 'em out. Google "solar powered toys" to see the plethora of dancing, wiggling, wagging, bouncing gizmos--all powered clean and free by our almighty sun. Seriously. Hours and hours of nonstop entertainment. Kinda (emphasis on the "kinda") like watching an aquarium...

Anyway, Mom loves her solar flower. Dad too. Within 30 seconds of our visit, she always makes some comment about her flower. Either it IS moving, or it ISN'T moving, or it's ABOUT to move, or it was JUST moving a minute ago... she always points it out. If it is moving, Dad always laughs. I'm not sure why. People in their eighties and nineties (like little kids) are easily amused by simple things. The simpler, the better. I guess it's what the saying "the simple pleasures of life" might be referring to. I dunno. Probably part of that whole circle of life thing.

Some days, like today, Mom tells me she wants to sit facing out the window just so she can watch that ridiculous little plastic flower wagging back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...

Mom asked today, "How does it do that?"
I explained that the sun charges a solar cell inside the flower, and that makes the flower move.
"Oh, " she said blankly. I could've said anything. All she cares about is that it moves.

The high point of today's visit was when Dad and I walked into the building, only to discover a special event being set up for residents and visitors--three or four tables in the lobby with baked items and whole line of Italian syrup bottles. Of course............my father thought they were liquor bottles.
"GREAT! Is it happy hour???!!!" he announced out loud. One of the staffers quickly explained that, no, the bottles were not liquor bottles, only different flavored syrups for italian sodas.
"Oh." Supreme disappointment.

Altogether, a better visit today. Let's hope the flower keeps wagging.

1 comment: