Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dad's coughing

Dad came down with a cold last week that seemed to turn into bronchitis. Now he has this awful sounding cough and is bringing up phlegmy stuff regularly. It's night now and I could hear Dad coughing from his bedroom. I got to thinking about the stories I've heard about the dangers of elderly contracting pneumonia. I just looked up "pneumonia in the elderly" to see what signs and symptoms I should be looking for. All the sites I checked noted that, in the elderly, coughing is NOT a symptom that is generally seen in elderly patients who are diagnosed with pneumonia. I guess this eases my mind a little. Nevertheless, I'm going to make an appointment for Dad to see the doc.

And now Mom..........my mom had one of her diarrhea episodes this afternoon. We can't seem to figure out why this happens, but once about every couple of months or so, she comes down with a doozy case of diarrhea and barely (or not) makes it to the bathroom. She presents with no other symptoms and, as far as I can figure, hasn't eaten anything different the day before or the morning of the incident. I'm stumped. Makes me wonder if anybody else has witnessed this sort of thing in the elderly.

No comments:

Post a Comment